Residency is the official document issued by the Turkish Immigration Department to a person wishing to obtain residency in Turkey, and there are many types of residency, including permanent residency, and for this we will try, in the following lines, to show the mechanism for obtaining permanent residency in Turkey for all those who wish to obtain it.
Types of residencies in Turkey:
The residency destinations in Turkey are diverse, as follows:
1-Residency in Turkey for tourism:
In this destination, the tourist electronically submits an application for residency with a flight ticket, where the duration of the tourist stay is not more than a year, and the applicant must abide by the following matters:
-Submit 4 personal photos.
-Pay the required taxes.
-Preparing the translated passport of the Turkish language from an accredited translation office.
-Preparing health insurance papers.
-Bring a house rental contract to prove residence in Turkey.
2-Residency by owning a property:
Foreigners who own a property on Turkish territory can obtain permanent residency, provided that the value of the property is 400 thousand US dollars.
3- Residency for study:
Foreign students enrolled in a Turkish university, school or institute can obtain residency, provided they submit documents notarized by official authorities, indicating registration in one of these study places.
This type of residency is given to refugees from other countries who are mostly affected by wars, political crises, famine, crises, etc.
5-family residency Turkish:
Law stipulates that every married person of Turkish nationality has the right to obtain residency, and it may be for a period of one, two, or three years, and the owners of family residency are entitled to obtain Turkish citizenship after residing for 3 consecutive years.
Every foreign employee working in a Turkish company has the right to obtain a residency due to work in the country, by submitting an application for the residency of this employee to him by the company concerned, after allowing him to work in the country from the Ministry of Labor.
The employee is entitled to reside with his family with him for the same period specified for him to reside, and the Turkish company must employ 5 Turkish employees of the state, in exchange for one foreign employee.
Conditions for obtaining permanent residency in Turkey:
The applicant for permanent residency in Turkey must meet some important conditions, which are as follows:
- -The foreigner obtains permanent residency legally if he resides on Turkish territory for a period of 8 continuous years.
- -The applicant should not have received social assistance in the last 3 years from the Turkish government.
- -That the resident's income is sufficient to support him and his family.
- -He should have up-to-date and valid health insurance.
- -Not to pose a threat to the security and safety of the country.
- -Obtaining consent from the guardian of the 18-year-old student.
The most important papers required to obtain permanent residency in Turkey:
The applicant will not obtain permanent residency without completing all the documents required to be submitted, which are as follows:
- -Submit a residence permit.
- -A valid passport, and a copy of it translated into Turkish.
- -Submitting a previous residence permit, whether it was a student study permit, a tourism permit, or even to work or own one or more real estate.
- -Provide evidence that the applicant has not received any social assistance from some institutions in the last 3 years.
- -Submit 2 personal photos.
- -An insurance statement showing the applicant's income, which is supposed to be sufficient for him and his family to live in Turkey.
- -A document showing that there are not any judicial rulings on the applicant.
- -Valid medical insurance papers.
- -Submitting documents proving the applicant's place of residence.
- -Finally, submitting the permanent residency application document.
Categories that can obtain permanent residency in Turkey:
There are two categories that can obtain residency in Turkey faster, and they are as follows:
-Short term residency category:
This category mainly requires the provision of papers indicating the existence of medical insurance for the applicant, and is given to the following cases:
*Owners of immovable property in Turkey.
*Travelers for scientific research.
*Those heading to establish a specific trade or investment business in the country, such as opening companies.
*It is also given to travelers for tourism and excursions.
-Long Term Residence Category:
This category is entitled to residents of Turkey for eight consecutive years, with the submission of social security papers proving this.
Cases in which permanent residency in Turkey is refused:
There are some cases in which permanent residency in Turkey cannot be accepted, such as these cases:
-That the presence of the applicant in the country poses a threat to the security system.
-That the applicant has been outside Turkey for more than a year and a half without interruption, except for sick cases, or education.
-Those who have subsidiary protection cannot obtain permanent residency in Turkey.
Rights of permanent residency holders in Turkey:
The holder of Turkish residency has some rights that he must know, and they are as follows:
- -The holder of permanent residency gets all the rights of a Turkish citizen to benefit from human resources and all facilities and institutions in the state and so on.
- -The holder of permanent residency is not able to exercise some of the rights of a Turkish citizen, such as voting, running for office, or importing cars.
- -Also, the holder of permanent residency is not obligated to perform military service.
- -He also gets the insurance services that a Turkish citizen gets.
- -Permits for permanent residence are issued to him for an indefinite period.
Benefits of a residency in Turkey for foreigners:
The Turkish residency makes the applicant benefit from some benefits in the country, such as:
- -Foreign residents can obtain a short-stay permit.
- -He can also get work in any job in the country.
- -Has the full right to rent a property, car or land.
- -The possibility of allowing him to marry Turkish citizens.
- -One of the important benefits is that you can easily get a bank account.
- -Establishing projects on state lands and opening new personal or joint-stock companies.
- -Enrollment of students under 18 years of age who have full residency in Turkish schools.
Exceptional ways to obtain permanent residency:
There are two ways by which you can immediately obtain permanent residency in Turkey, and they are as follows:
-Granting permission to some Arab countries from the Turkish government to enable its citizens to obtain permanent residency immediately without conditions.
-Obtaining this residency through an institutional decision issued by one of the Turkish government agencies, which is usually related to political considerations.
What is the evaluation period for obtaining permanent residency in Turkey?
Assessment of the applicant's eligibility to be granted permanent residency in Turkey may take a period of no less than 4 months since the first day of registration.
During this period, the applicant is waiting for a response from the authority concerned with acceptance or rejection of his application for permanent residency in Turkey, and the applicant can book a residency appointment through the immigration website, where the initial acceptance is done electronically.
Hence, it is clear to us that the mechanism for obtaining permanent residency in Turkey depends on some conditions and basics that the applicant should pay attention to before applying.